Thursday, November 6, 2008

A New Pride In America

Barack Hussein Obama is our first black President.

During my normal commute home, I exit up a very long escalator. Today, while on that long ride up, I was distracted from my reading by a male voice singing the American National Anthem. I say distracted because at first I was annoyed by this intrusion into my reading. But it took only a few sung words for me to realize that this guy was good. He was really good! I turned behind to see it was from a black man dressed in a Metro train workers clothing, about 3 people behind me. He saw me look at him, but luckily this glance of mine did not dissuade him from continuing his song. And it was exquisite. His volume was not so loud as if trying to merely force attention on himself, nor so soft as to portray embarrassment. And the style he was singing our anthem in was a kind of jazz / gospel blend. After my first quick glance I turned forward again, and just took it in. It really seemed to just come from his heart. When he completed the last words, and the final note was done, I turned again and applauded softly, giving him a big smile. It was then I saw he had tears in his eyes. He looked at me and kind of gave me an 'aw shucks' kind of return smile. I found this whole experience very moving.

No comments: